Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Week 01

Although I did not make it to the first section of class, I did have a chance to review all the materials on the class website. In addition I was able to listen to the lecture online. I was pleasantly surprised how many tools are available to students wanting to make teaching a career. These include ISTE and Task Stream. They both provide me with all the information to set up a teaching career. I had no idea what level of technology was available for teachers.
From the 10 points I reviewed, one I feel is very important is the ability of teachers to be comfortable with and use spreadsheet software on a continuous basis. It is important because spending a small amount of time setting up a good spreadsheet can let a teacher track an individual student’s work and progress over time throughout the year.
The next point I feel is important if for the teacher to create his or her own web page. The cool thing about a teacher website is that it can create a connection between a teacher, her students and their parents. Parents could view what was going for their students in terms of assignments, subject matter and even grades. Students could view assignments and keep up with class notes. It would be a portal for the class.
Another important point is using PowerPoint as a beneficial tool for both the teacher and the student. It is a well organized way to present the subject matter and highlights for the students, and to let them take the thoughts and ideas to the next level. Videos can even be embedded to enhance topics. There are many versatile uses for power point presentations that will help guide the class in a very organized manner.
E-mail is another very important point as a tool for the teacher to know how to use and understand all its powers and functions. Education and technology are now intertwined in a way that you cannot have one without the other. E-mail is a function that will give you fast access to everyone in your network as a teacher. Learning how to organize your e-mail is the next best set to making your life as a teacher more efficient. There will be e-mails coming in for all different sorts of reasons and from all sorts of people. Learning how to file them will help a teacher function much more competently.
Understanding how a computer functions and operates helps one better understand what a computer is actually capable of. The more that a teacher knows, the more they can teach others about the powerful functions computers can provide especially when it comes to making life more efficient and organized. A computer is very complex, but the basic knowledge can only empower you. Being able to understand and teach students about computers and their capabilities can help students succeed.

No comments: